Religious Education Policy
This policy outlines requirements and responsibilities for matters relating to general religious education and special religious education.
- Policy statement
- Schools are to allow for religious education of two distinct types: general religious education and special religious education.
- Schools are to provide meaningful activities for students whose parents have withdrawn them from special religious education. Where it is reasonably practicable and requested by a parent/caregiver, this may include the option of special education in ethics.
- Curriculum for general religious education is provided as part of the Board of Studies NSW syllabuses. Curriculum for special religious education is developed and implemented by approved providers.
- Audience and applicability
- This policy applies to all schools, department officers and providers of special religious education.
- Education Act 1990, Sections 26, 30, 31, 32 and 33 and 33A.
- Rawlinson Committee Report Religion in Education in NSW Government Schools (1980) recommendations 36-72 that were adopted by the government of the day as an agreement between the churches and the government for the provision of special religious education.
- Inquiry into Education Amendment (Ethics Classes Repeal) Bill 2012 Final Report.
- Responsibilities and delegations
- School principals
- Allowing for general religious education and special religious education in schools.
- Directors Public Schools NSW
- Monitoring of the implementation of general religious education and special religious education in schools.
- Resolution of implementation issues between the school, its community and providers of special religious education as outlined in this policy and its implementation procedures.
- NSW Department of Education and Communities Consultative Committee for Special Religious Education
- Provision of advice on the policy and its implementation through the Director, Early Learning and Primary Education.
- Consideration of new developments and approaches to special religious education.
- Director, Early Learning and Primary Education
- Provision of curriculum support for general religious education.
- Provision of executive support for the NSW Department of Education and Communities Consultative Committee for Special Religious Education and acting as Chairperson.
- Provision of advice to the department on the policy and its implementation.
- Provision of administrative support for special religious education, including:
- receiving and processing submissions for the approval of a religious persuasion to teach special religious education
- maintaining of the list of approved providers
- procuring annual assurances from approved providers regarding the screening of special religious education teachers.
- Policy contact person (refer 6)
- Provision of advice on the interpretation and implementation of the policy.
- Acting as Executive Officer for the NSW Department of Education and Communities Consultative Committee for Special Religious Education.
- Liaison with local department officers on matters relating to religious education.
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting requirements
- The Director, Early Learning and Primary Education will monitor the implementation of this policy and will report as required to the Public Schools Executive Group.
- Special Religious Education and Special Education in Ethics Officer
(02) 7814 2353