About Education Week
Education Week is an annual celebration of NSW public education and the achievements of our schools, teachers and students.
Education Week 2023 will be held from 31 July to 4 August 2023 (Week 3, Term 3) and this year celebrates 175 years of public education in NSW.
Education Week 2023
Education Week 2023 will be held from 31 July to 4 August 2023 (Week 3, Term 3). This year’s theme is 175 years of public education in NSW and focuses on learning from our past, celebrating our achievements and embracing the future with confidence.
This year marks 175 years since the establishment of public schools in NSW. Founded in 1848, the Board of National Education was formed and tasked with establishing a public education system in NSW. Prior to 1848, schools operated under a denominational system and were the responsibility of churches.
Theme - 175 years of public education in NSW
Learning from our past
- We reflect and learn from policies and practices of the past 175 years.
- We engage in truth-telling to have honest conversations about the past.
Celebrating our achievements
- We celebrate our achievements throughout the NSW public education system.
- We celebrate the significant contribution public education has made to society over the past 175 years.
- We celebrate the work of teachers and support staff in developing and shaping the next generation.
- We celebrate all types of learning that occurs at all levels across our education system.
- We celebrate our shared responsibility in helping to shape the lives and futures of today’s learners.
Embracing the future with confidence
- We are energised by the ways our education system is preparing young people to be agile thinkers and lifelong learners from the first days in early childhood education to post-school pathways.
Have a question related to Ed Week?
Email us at: EdWeek@det.nsw.edu.au