The School Sport Unit provides carefully planned, adaptable and enjoyable representative and participation based physical activity experiences for all students in NSW public schools as well as quality teacher professional learning and policy support for teachers and principals.
The School Sport Unit’s programs are encouraged by devoted principals and delivered by highly skilled, motivated teachers who positively shape young people to become engaged in their communities and to lead happy, rewarding lives through a lifelong connection to sport and physical activity.
Our vision – To be the benchmark for equitable and inclusive provision of school sport and physical activity initiatives in Australia.
School Sport Unit’s programs
The School Sport Unit’s programs are:
- Representative School Sport Pathway – Students ages 8-19 years participate in over 30 sports that are offered to both individuals and teams. Annually, over 172,000 students compete at school, zone, association, state and national level, representing almost 2200 schools.
- Inclusion and participation – A diverse range of inclusive sport and physical activity opportunities and pathways are offered. These modified opportunities focus on ability, participation, enjoyment and skill development in competitive and non-competitive environments. Opportunities include Gala days, Multi-Sport days, Knockouts, Boccia, Ten Pin Bowling and Come-and-Try days.
- NSW Premier’s Sporting Challenge – A multi-faceted program including the 10 week Challenge, Race around Australia, sport leadership programs, ambassador program, teaching resources, professional learning and access to funding grants. Over 444,000 students from 1,550 schools participate annually in the Challenge, as well as over 15,000 staff from schools and corporate offices.
- School Swimming and Water Safety Program – A multi-faceted program focusing on developing water safety skills and knowledge for primary aged students. Opportunities within the program include ‘Learn to Swim’ and ‘Water Safety Awareness’, classroom resources and teacher professional learning. Over 85% of NSW primary schools with more than 105,000 students participate annually.
- Policy and guidelines – Advice, support and compliance resources available for the implementation of quality, safe and enjoyable sport and physical activity for students.
- Teacher professional learning – Offers online, face-to-face and blended workshops to support teachers in delivering quality sport and physical activity opportunities for students. Annually, over 2,300 teachers attend courses held across NSW.
For further information:
- phone (02) 9508 5500
- visit The School Sport Unit website
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on the NSW School Sport Unit Facebook page and the NSW School Sport Unit YouTube channel